This course identifies the systems and processes that present risks for patient harm and have significant impact on patient outcomes in the orthopedic practice. The course draws from the results of the Orthopedic Office Practice Self-Assessments completed by The Doctors Company (TDC), members of the Florida Orthopedic Risk Purchasing Group, and from other orthopedic practices who are members of The Doctors Company.
The course will focus on:
- Conducting a root cause analysis to identify flaws in systems and process that place patients at risk.
- Exploring common system and process failures and inadequacies.
- Developing performance improvement plans to respond to root cause analyses and to address system deficiencies.
After completing this activity, learners will be able to:
- Conduct a root cause analysis when an event occurs.
- Educate staff and colleagues about the key components of a root cause analysis2.
- Assess my practice’s systems and processes for risks and deficiencies that are closely related to orthopedic practices.
- Formulate a performance improvement action plan to address identified system and process risks and deficiencies in my practice.
No individual in a position to control or influence the content of this activity has reported relevant financial relationships with commercial interests. No commercial support was provided for this activity.
Sandra Strickland, RN, MSN, LHRM, CPHRM, Assistant Vice President, SE Region, Department Of Patient Safety and Risk Management Company
Julie Hopkins, MA, MBA, Director, Continuing Medical Education, Patient Safety and Risk Management, The Doctors Company
Continuing Education Credit
The Doctors Company is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical educational activities for physicians.
The Doctors Company designates this enduring material activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The Doctors Company estimates one hour for completion of this course. A passing score of 80 percent or greater is required to successfully complete the activity and earn AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™.
|Course ID#:||TDE 18019.0|
|Issue Date for This Activity:||04/05/2018|
|Expiration Date for This Activity:||04/05/2021|
The information and guidelines contained in this enduring material activity are generalized and may not apply to all practice situations. The faculty recommends that legal advice be obtained from a qualified attorney for specific application to your practice. The information is intended for educational purposes only.
Complies with State Requirements
Please click HERE to see the Federation of State Medical Boards overview of Continuing Medical Education requirements by State.
Click Here to download a PDF with resources related to this program.
If you have questions, contact email@example.com or call (800) 421-2368, extension 1243.